How To Make TAFELSPITZ: The Classic Austrian Way
CHECK OUT THE RECIPE BELOW!
-1 Large Yellow Onion, halved horizontally (unpeeled)
-1 Lb. beef bones, roasted at 400oF for 30 minutes
-1 Tri-Tip (Beef Triangle), about 1½ lbs. (substitute with top round sirloin)
-2 Large carrots (or 4 narrow ones), peeled and cut
-2 Medium Parsnips, peeled and sliced
-1 Small Celery Root, peeled and sliced
-1 T. Sea Salt
-15 Black Peppercorn
-4 Juniper Berries
-1 t. Mustard Seed
-2 Bay Leaves
-2 Cloves Garlic, peeled
-1 Leek, rinsed of soil and sand, sliced
-8 Branches Flat-leaf Parsley, tied
1. Slice onion in half (don’t peel it) and place it cut-side down on a hot skillet; sear until blackened. While this is happening…
2. Rinse beef bones and Tri-Tip Beef Triangle in cool water; roast beef bones as directed, then place them and the Beef Triangle in a pot large enough to hold them; fill ¾ with cool water, turn heat on high, and add the blackened onions.
3. Prepare the carrots, parsnips, celery root as directed, and separate into two equal parts; place half of each vegetable into the pot and set the rest aside. Add the Sea Salt, black peppercorn, juniper berries, mustard seed, bay leaves and garlic cloves.
4. When the pot is in a rolling boil, skim the scum that rises to the surface during the first 15 minutes; reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 1 ½ hours, or until the beef is tender.
5.When the beef is almost tender, remove it from the pot and strain all the solids out (consider serving the beef bones with a knife and toasted bread: spread the morrow and enjoy). Return the broth to the pot with the beef, and then add the reserved vegetables (carrots, parsnip, celery root) as well as the sliced leeks and the parsley. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
6. Remove the beef and slice it against the grain. Onto each plate or bowl, lay several slices of beef and then use a slotted spoon to add vegetables from the pot; spoon broth over the top and then garnish: add 2 T. of the apple/horseradish on top of the beef, then sprinkle minced chives and the dill fronds. Serve immediately.
Wall Street Journal Article By Lettie Teague:
BUY OUR PRODUCTS:
Follow Us On Social Media:
Please Like this Video and Subscribe to our Channel!
Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart
YouTube Channel:Audio Library